Wednesday 27 October 2010

Game Level Design

Game Level Design


I have researched the mechanics behind game level design. Of the two game play options, (open world and linear) I have decided that I decided that I shall implement linear gameplay strategy to my game, while incorporating slight aspects of open world gameplay options. This decision was based upon that fact that my game is a brain teaser platform game and in keeping with the concept of the game, in using linearity to achieve an overall goal.


I feel that an open world game would not serve very much purpose in a game where the main principle is very directed and linear. This may distract form the purpose of the game and not well implement the aspect of urgency as this is a measurement of success within the game play.


As mentioned previously, although primarily a linear game there is opportunity to 'explore' aspects of each level entered. I.e. On level One: the Root Chakra, the player has opportunity to explore the graveyard area where they can discover skulls which are credited as money, Food,and drink which add to life sustenance, life boosters, opportunity to answer questions correctly which gain them extra points and information form the Chakra character; Which in this case (level One0 is the Voudou Man.


The game also incorporates platform gaming in the middle section of the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment